Wednesday, October 26, 2005

"I Can't Find a Thing To Wear!"



Over the past several weeks after the devastation from hurricane Katrina, I have been asked “how can we help the victims and what do they REALLY need that’s not on your list?” Many, many of you have donated money and supplies through your various churches and schools….and others have brought supplies for us to take directly to the community at Lake Shore Baptist Church. When I went with a team to the area last week I took a couple of very ‘unusual’ items not knowing if they would be needed at all, and when I gave them to the person in charge the response was, “YES! We know someone right now who is needing this very thing!” (I took insulin needles---and a diabetic there was in great need of them!) So, my answer is: bring what the Lord directs you to bring. If something is on your mind...and not on the list....bring it anyway. All you have to do is think about what you do in the morning to get ready for the day.....from the type of clothing you wear to suit the weather outside (because they live outside EVERYDAY)....to the "tools" you use to do your daily chores. They need it all!

Here's the latest update of needs:
"Because of enclosures now on the church site, we are able to take clothing items, which are greatly needed. Critical items include coats, shoes, new underwear, blankets and linens. Cleaning supplies such as bleach, mops, brooms, etc. are also in short supply."

What will you wear today since the weather has turned cold? Will sandals do?.....a short-sleeved shirt? Or do I need longjohns and a sweatshirt? Keep in mind that before the storm hit, the people left their homes in the midst of 95+ degree weather....with only one or two changes of clothing. And don't forget that they probably didn't pack a blanket......or a broom!

Contact me if you have things to donate and we will make arrangements to connect to get the items for the next trip down. THANKS!

3 Comments:

Blogger Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Ann, I've been praying much of the night about this. Tell me the date of the next trip - and we will have many things there for you to bring.
You are a huge blessing to me - I will write you personally later today when homeschoolwork is done!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Nathan White said...

This post was such a 'Mom' post! "Now don't forget your jacket less you catch your death cold" - I can still hear it like it was yesterday...

But you are right. If we think about what we use on a daily basis (like if we were going to spend the day outside) then we can properly gather the items most needed by the Lakeshore community.

What a great Mom!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

Yes, she is a great mom :)

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home